Pages

Subscribe:

Monday, February 20, 2012

Refinishing a Wood Door

If you have ever had an old door on your house that has cracks and peeling paint you know how bad it makes your house look. I had a wood door on my house that had small cracks on the bottom and a surface that was not smooth. The door also had chipped paint and really did not look good. Since it would be expensive to buy a new door I decided to refinish the door. What I did first was take the door off the hinges by removing the pins that hold the hinges together.

The first step in refinishing the door is to start sanding the old paint off  the door. I used a power sander because is easier than doing it by hand. I started with a rougher grit sandpaper and finished with a smoother one. To fill in the small cracks on the bottom of the door I used wood putty. You have to wait a certain amount of time for it to dry before you can sand it. Once the door is completed sanded and the surface feels smooth it is ready to be painted. I used a wood paint and gave it two coats of paint. When I put the door back on I put new door handles and locks on it since the old ones looked bad. The end result turned out good and it really makes the house look better.

0 comments:

Post a Comment